CapCut is quickly becoming one of the most popular video editing apps for creators.
Originally released for mobile devices, many users want to know how to get CapCut on their Windows or Mac computer.
This comprehensive guide’ll cover everything you need to know about downloading and using CapCut on a desktop or laptop PC.
Overview of CapCut
CapCut is a full-featured video editing app developed by Bytedance for those unfamiliar.
It first launched in 2020 for Android and iOS devices and has since exploded in popularity, especially among social media content creators.
Some key features of CapCut include:
- Intuitive multi-track timeline for splicing together clips
- Huge library of stickers, filters, transitions and audio effects
- Chroma key tool for easy green screen removal
- Built-in filters and tools for color correction
- Capable of handling 4K video editing
- Support for landscape and portrait projects
- Big library of royalty-free music and sound effects
- Easy sharing to all major social platforms
This powerful set of features has made CapCut a favorite for TikTok and Instagram creators who need professional-level editing tools but with an easy learning curve.
Why Use CapCut on PC?
There are a few key reasons why you may want to download and install CapCut on your Windows or Mac computer:
- Bigger screen – Editing video with a large monitor is much easier than a small phone screen. You can see more of the timeline and details.
- More processing power – Desktops and laptops have more powerful CPUs and GPUs than mobile devices, allowing you to render and export videos faster.
- Use mouse & keyboard – Editing with a mouse and physical keyboard can be faster and more precise than tapping a phone screen.
- Multi-tasking – You can CapCut open on your PC while accessing other programs and websites for easy multi-tasking.
- Sync projects – CapCut has cross-platform syncing so you can work on a project both on mobile and PC and pick up right where you left off.
For these reasons, many creators switched to CapCut for PC for the best editing experience.
How to Download CapCut for Windows PC
CapCut was originally designed only for Android and iOS. There is no native Windows or Mac version available for download from the developer.
However, there are a couple of easy workarounds to get CapCut installed on a PC. We’ll cover both options:
Method 1: Download BlueStacks
The simplest way to get CapCut for PC is using an Android emulator like BlueStacks. Here are the steps:
- Go to bluestacks.com and download the BlueStacks app player for Windows or Mac. Install it on your computer and open the program.
- In the search bar, search for “CapCut” and look for the app icon. Click to install it through BlueStacks.
- Once installed, you can open CapCut just like any other program on your computer. Log in to sync your projects.
- Edit videos right through the emulator just as you would on a mobile device! Export and save them to your computer when done.
This method essentially runs the Android version of CapCut through emulation on your PC. It provides the full mobile app experience.
The only potential downside is there may be some lag at times since it is being emulated. But for most basic editing it runs quite smoothly.
Method 2: CapCut Online
Recently, CapCut released an official web version that runs directly in your browser without any emulator required.
To use it:
- Go to CapCut.com and click “Edit Online”
- This will open the CapCut editor right in your browser window. No download or installation needed.
- Log into your account to sync your cloud projects, or start a new project right in your browser.
- Edit video just like the mobile app! Export online when your edit is complete.
This is the easiest way to access CapCut on a Chromebook, Mac or PC without installing any additional software. The online editor has all the same key features but may be slower than running locally.
No matter which method you choose, you’ll now have access to CapCut’s powerful editing tools right from your computer!
CapCut for PC System Requirements
Before downloading CapCut for your desktop or laptop, make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements:
For BlueStacks Method:
- Windows 10, 11 or Mac OS X 10.11 and newer
- At least 4GB RAM
- SSD storage recommended
- Discrete GPU recommended for best performance
For CapCut Online:
- Windows 7 or newer, Mac OS X 10.10 and newer
- Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari browser
- Stable internet connection
Newer and more powerful PCs will provide the best CapCut experience. But it can run on most average consumer laptops as long as you meet the requirements above.
How to Use CapCut on PC
Once installed via BlueStacks or accessing the web version, using CapCut on desktop works just like mobile:
- Import your video clips you want to edit into the media tray
- Drag clips onto the timeline and trim as needed
- Use the edit tools to cut, splice, crop and enhance footage
- Add creative elements like text, stickers, filters and transitions
- Export the final edited video and upload online!
It may take a little adjusting going from the touch controls on mobile to using a mouse and keyboard. But the interface is intuitive and designed so that all the same editing tools are easily accessible.
Here are some tips for getting the most out of CapCut on your Windows PC or Mac:
- Use keyboard shortcuts for faster editing. For example, “Ctrl + C” to copy, “Ctrl + V” to paste.
- Double click a clip on the timeline to bring up clip editing settings.
- Right click on media, clips or elements for quick editing options.
- Use your mouse wheel or trackpad to zoom in on the timeline for precise editing.
- Enable snapping to have clips snap into place and prevent gaps.
- Utilize multiple windows and monitors so you can see more at once.
Take advantage of the bigger screen real estate and hardware on desktop to supercharge your CapCut video editing!
CapCut for PC FAQs
Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about downloading CapCut to Windows or Mac:
Is CapCut for PC free?
Yes, CapCut is a free app on mobile and PC. There is no charge to download or use it. There are in-app purchases for additional content packs but the core editor is free.
What are the differences between mobile and PC?
The tools and features of CapCut are nearly identical between the mobile apps and PC experience. The main differences are having a larger screen, more processing power, and using a keyboard/mouse rather than touch controls.
Can I pick up editing on another device?
Yes, CapCut uses cloud sync so you can seamlessly switch between editing on your phone, tablet, and computer. All your projects and edits are synced across devices.
Do I need the mobile app too?
No, you can use CapCut solely on your PC without ever installing the mobile apps. However, some users like to use both for flexibility.
Is CapCut PC safe to download?
Yes, downloading from official sources like BlueStacks or CapCut.com is completely safe. CapCut does not contain any malware or viruses and is used by millions worldwide.
Can I export full quality videos?
Yes, CapCut on PC has the same exporting options as mobile. You can export at resolutions up to 4K and 60fps for high quality videos.
How can I speed up rendering on PC?
Use a PC with a discrete graphics card and ensure other demanding apps are closed. Render times will be faster than mobile. Export to a SSD rather than standard hard drive.
Installing CapCut for PC is easy whether you use BlueStacks emulator or the web version at CapCut.com. The desktop experience provides all the same great editing tools as the mobile app, with the added benefits of a bigger screen and more processing power.
CapCut has become hugely popular thanks to its professional-grade features packaged into a free, easy-to-use interface. Windows and Mac users can now enjoy the same creative editing possibilities.
Try downloading CapCut for your desktop or laptop today to start making amazing videos!