The Wyze app makes it easy to set up and control Wyze home security cameras, video doorbells, smart lights, and other devices right from your smartphone.
But what if you want the bigger screen real estate of a desktop or laptop computer?
The good news is you can download and install the Wyze app for Windows or Mac OS and enjoy full functionality right on your PC.
Benefits of Using the Wyze App on a Computer
There are a few advantages to using the Wyze app on your desktop or laptop:
- Bigger screen – The app interface and video feeds will be much easier to see and interact with on a large monitor compared to a small phone screen.
- Easier navigation – With a mouse and keyboard, navigating through the various sections of the app is faster and simpler than using touch controls.
- Multi-tasking – You can have the Wyze app open on your computer while doing other tasks more easily compared to a phone.
- Alert notifications – App alerts and motion detection notifications can conveniently pop up on your Windows or Mac desktop.
- Keyboard shortcuts – The desktop app allows you to use keyboard shortcuts for common actions like taking a screenshot or recording a video clip.
So if you spend a lot of time at your computer, downloading the Wyze desktop app can make monitoring your home and devices more convenient.
Downloading the Wyze App for Windows
To get the Wyze app on your Windows PC, follow these steps:
- Go to the Wyze website and click “Apps” at the top of the page.
- Under Wyze for Windows, click the blue “Download” button.
- When the download is complete, open the installer file. This will be called something like “WyzeSetup.exe”.
- Follow the on-screen installation prompts. This will install the Wyze app on your Windows computer.
- Once installed, the Wyze app icon will appear in your start menu. You can now open the app and log in with your Wyze account credentials.
That’s all there is to it! The Windows app has the same features and interface as the mobile app, allowing you to fully control and manage your Wyze devices from your desktop.
Downloading the Wyze App for Mac
Installing the Wyze app on a Mac is just as easy:
- Go to the Wyze Apps page and click the “Download for Mac” button under the Mac OS section.
- When the DMG file finishes downloading, open it.
- Drag and drop the Wyze app icon into your Applications folder.
- You can then find Wyze in your Applications folder or Launchpad. Launch the app and log in.
The Mac version looks and functions identically to the mobile and Windows apps. Now your iMac, Macbook, or Mac PC can become your Wyze security command center.
Connecting Wyze Cameras and Devices to the Desktop App
Once you have the desktop Wyze app installed, connecting your Wyze gadgets is simple. Just follow the same process you would on the mobile app:
- Tap the “+” icon to add a new device.
- Choose the type of device you want to connect.
- Follow the on-screen pairing instructions to connect the device to your Wyze account.
- Give the device a name and room location.
- The app will automatically sync your device’s live stream, settings, and events.
You can repeat this for all your Wyze cameras, locks, lights, sensors, etc. They will all be accessible and controllable right from the desktop app.
Viewing and Controlling Connected Devices
The Wyze desktop app makes it easy to view live streams, control settings, and receive alerts for all your connected gadgets in one place:
- Live streams – You can watch crystal clear live streams from your Wyze Cams in full 1080p HD video right on your computer screen. Just click on a camera thumbnail to view the live feed.
- Playback – Scroll back through previous recordings using the timeline and watch those clips right in the app.
- Motion tagging – When motion events trigger a recording, they will be marked with a green line on the timeline so you can jump to important moments.
- Device controls – Adjust settings like camera schedule, motion sensitivity, and more. You can turn smart lights on/off, lock/unlock doors, trigger sirens, etc.
- Alerts – Customize motion detection alerts to popup on your Windows or Mac desktop whenever the camera detects movement.
- 2-Way audio – Use your computer’s microphone and speakers to talk through Wyze Cams with 2-way audio enabled.
So anything you can do on the mobile app, you can do on desktop thanks to the full-featured Windows and Mac apps.
Advanced Features of the Desktop App
In addition to mirroring the functionality of the mobile app, the desktop Wyze app comes with some bonus features:
- Keyboard shortcuts – Keyboard shortcuts allow you to quickly save screenshots, record video clips, control playback, and more right from your keyboard.
- Multiple windows – Open multiple live camera feeds in separate windows to monitor different areas simultaneously.
- Custom desktop layouts – Arrange multiple live camera streams, timelines, and controls any way you like for optimal monitoring.
- Alert log – Get a visual timeline of all motion alerts that have occurred over any time period.
- Automatic updates – The desktop app will automatically update itself when new versions are released to add new features and improvements.
So you get an even more robust monitoring and control experience on a big screen with window snapping, keyboard use, and expanded information.
Troubleshooting Wyze App Issues on PC
Like any app, you may occasionally encounter issues with the Wyze desktop app. Here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements – Windows 10 or MacOS 10.10 or later. Older operating systems may experience problems.
- Try restarting your computer and relaunching the Wyze app. This can clear up random bugs and glitches.
- Check that your internet connection is working properly. The app requires an internet connection to sync with the cloud and your devices.
- Look for app updates and install the latest version of the software for bug fixes.
- Disable any VPN or firewall software temporarily to see if they are blocking the app’s network connectivity.
- Uninstall and reinstall the app if you continue experiencing issues.
- Contact Wyze customer support if troubleshooting does not resolve the problem. They can help diagnose and fix more serious technical issues.
Following general troubleshooting tips like these will get the Wyze desktop app working properly again in most cases.
Tips for Using the Wyze App on PC
Here are some handy tips for getting the most out of the Wyze experience on your Windows or Mac computer:
- Use a large high resolution monitor for maximum image detail when viewing live camera streams.
- Customize motion detection zones and sensitivity settings to reduce unnecessary alerts.
- Turn on push notifications so motion alerts pop up on your desktop even when the app is closed.
- Use multiple app windows or virtual desktops to monitor different areas at the same time.
- Add devices like smart plugs, sensors, and lights to expand your home automation capabilities.
- Integrate IFTTT applets to trigger automatic responses when devices are triggered.
- Enable 2-factor authentication and app lock in Account Settings for extra security.
- Adjust camera audio settings carefully to avoid echo and feedback when using 2-way talk.
- Bookmark the Timeline screen to quickly jump back to key events and playback video.
Following tips like these will help you get the most functionality out of the desktop Wyze app for monitoring your home or office.
The free Wyze app for Windows and Mac gives you full control of Wyze devices right from your computer. You get larger streams, easier navigation, alert popups, keyboard shortcuts, and other benefits. Just download and install the app on your desktop or laptop and connect your Wyze cameras, lights, locks and more to start monitoring and automating from the comfort of your workspace. With a few troubleshooting tips, you can resolve any minor issues that arise. The Wyze desktop app provides the convenience of using Wyze gadgets on a big screen.
Q: Is the desktop app completely free?
A: Yes, the Wyze app for Windows and Mac is completely free to download and use, just like the mobile app. No subscription or in-app purchases are required.
Q: Can I use the desktop app without my phone?
A: Yes, you don’t need the phone app at all. Just set up and manage all your Wyze devices directly through the desktop app.
Q: Does the app have to be open to get alerts?
A: No, you can close the app and will still get desktop notifications when motion is detected as long as notifications are enabled in the app settings.
Q: Can I view playback video on the desktop app?
A: Absolutely. Just like on the mobile app, you can scroll back through event timelines and watch recordings from the past 14 days.
Q: Is there a web version I can access from any computer?
A: Unfortunately there currently is no web version of the Wyze app available. You have to install the Windows or Mac app to use Wyze on a desktop PC.